Its a classic tea time cake! Perfect for summer evenings, but we guys enjoyed it in the cold March weather! Its a light, moist cake with a fresh lemon flavour, just soo soo yum!
The lemon drizzle on the top just lifts the cake to a whole new level and lends it another dimension!
Made it this afternoon, but sadly mid way baking the electricity died off and took whole 10 minutes to come back! The damage was done 😕 the cake fell in the middle… Double 😕😕!!
But that did not hamper the taste of this baby even a bit! It was super delicious and was devoured by everyone!
Make for your next tea party, or just for a fun evening with your girls!!
Lemon Drizzle Cake
For the lemon cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk ( i used 1cup milk and added 1 tbsp lemon juice to it, and allowed it to sit for 5 minutes)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Zest of 1 medium sized lemon
- Few drops of yellow colour
For the lemon drizzle
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
How to make it
The lemon cake
- Cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy!
- Add 1/3 cup milk and beat again till fluffy! Repeat again!
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix well!
- Sift the flour, baking powder and the baking soda.
- Add to the butter mix!
- Mix the yellow colour with the remaining milk and add to the cake mix.
- Fold in the flour!
- Pour into a greased loaf tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 20-25 minutes or till a skewer comes out clean! It will have a rich golden coloured crust!
The Lemon Drizzle
- Just mix together both the ingredients.
- If it gets too runny add more sugar if it gets too stiff add more lemon juice! It should have a dripping consistency similar to that of condensed milk.
Drizzle it liberally over your cooled cake.
The batter I had made was a little excess, so I made these beautiful cupcakes of that batter.
These soft fluffy cupcakes looked absolutely adorable with the lemon drizzle on top!
This cake is perfect for gifting to your friends and family also, and easy to carry as the lemon drizzle hardens as it dries up!
Give this cake a try and fall in love with this citrusy cake!