So I have been putting off writing recipe for this pie for almost a year now(yes! lazy me)!!
But I have finally decided to shake off my laziness and get down and write the recipe for this heavenly pie!
I like my Apple pie with a little salt in it.. it just adds a that extra layer of flavour to the pie!
When making the pie just prepare the pastry the day before and have it ready in the refrigerator. From there making the pie is super easy.. And yes I am not kidding.. it really is easy!
So here goes… serve it with warm custard, whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice-cream… it tastes good in all forms!
- One serving of Shortcrust Pastry(find the recipe here)
- 1/2 sheet butter paper
- 2 cups baking beans ( I use some kidney beans I have kept especially for blind baking)
- 2 cups Apples cut into slices
- 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1-2 tbsp melted dark/white chocolate
How to make it
- Roll out the pastry to a thickness of about 1 cm and carefully transfer onto your pie dish(you can either use the rolling pin or the cling wrap to do so).
- To line a 8 inch pie crust you need just half of the pastry mentioned in the recipe. Keep the remaining pastry aside to use later to cover the pie.
- Press slightly into the corners of the pie dish. Let the extra pastry stay on top do not cut! (to avoid any shrinkage in the pastry)
- Cover with butter paper and fill with baking beans. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 20 minutes.
- Take the crust out of the oven and carefully remove the beans and the paper, bake for another 5 minutes.
- Now carefully cut the edges of the pastry(along the top corner of the pie dish) with a sharp knife.
- Brush the hot crust with the melted chocolate and keep aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the apples, cinnamon and the sugar. Let it sit for 10 minutes. This is how it should look.
- Then carefully transfer the apples to a sieve and drain out all juices.
- Transfer this juice into a microwave safe bowl and add in the butter and salt. Microwave for 3-4 minutes or until the juice resembles a syrup( as thick as honey).
- Add this syrup to the apples along with the cornflour.
- Carefully spoon this filling into the pre-baked pie crust.
- Now roll out the remaining pastry and cover the top of the pie with the pastry.
- You can either cover it completely or make a lattice design. Its completely your choice.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 180°C for 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer onto a cooling rack and serve warm!